Thursday, March 18, 2010

Remembering Jaguar Hope

Hard to believe but it's a year ago today since Jaguar Hope had to be put down...

He was a quirky guy that hated other horses, cribbed like there was going to be no tomorrow, was very athletic, gorgeous and smart. He was the most opinionated and self confident horse I've ever been around. He NEVER spooked. Not even when a wall of ice fell from the roof just a few feet away from him. His rider spooked but he marched on doing his job. He had tremendous focus.

I'll never forget the first time I took him on a trail ride. We trailered over to a friends house alone. I met up with my friend out in a field that we had to get to by going through the woods - alone. Jag marched in pure determination to get where we had to go even though he had no clue where that was. But march he did! Once we met up with my friend, we went hiking around several hundred acres of fields and woods. We had an owl fly up from the ground in front of us, deer run away from us through the woods and a porcupine climb up a tree. Nothing fazed Jag. He was rock solid! I've NEVER been on a horse like that!

In hindsight it was really stupid to do that.

So today I've been thinking about him and his quirks. My last lessons on him had the two of us having big discussions over who was in control. I've learned a lot since then.

I'm grateful for the time I had with him and where he has led me. He is responsible for getting me into photography and because of that I've met my perfect match and am getting married in September. I'm also much more knowledgeable about dressage, training and everything that is involved with it. And Jag is responsible for me writing this blog!

I miss him tremendously and I'm moving forward. I continue to grow from everything he taught me. Here's a trip down memory lane - from first seeing him at Great Lakes Downs to him embarrassing me whenever we did stretching exercises and his girlie squeal at the "Scentless Bastard" in the mirror.

8 comments:

  1. He was such a beautiful and amazing horse. I can't believe it's been a year either (as one of your readers.) Because of him you were able to help another OTTB, he's like Hola's guardian angel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your blog for the first time 2 nights ago and ended up staying up really late reading from the beginning. I cried when I read about Jag. He seemed like an amazing horse. You were so lucky to have him in your life. I love your blog and it has inspired me to give a home and a new life to an OTTB once I am out of school and have a more stable schedule. I am currently working with my new Arabian mare who was negleted and starved before I got her. Rehabbing a horse is a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous - thanks for reading my blog! You'll have to tell us more about your arabian mare.

    Denali's Mom - you're right! Jag IS Hola's guardian angel. That makes me feel good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wendy,

    I'll have a drink in Jag's honour tonight! One of my favourite blog stories and you're tops in my book for looking after all these fine thoroughbreds.

    RIP Jag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No words just a hug -- he was beautiful boy.

    I started reading your blog right after Jag passed and I have learned so much.

    Thank you Wendy. Thank you Jag. Thank you Toby. Thank you Hola.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous back again.
    I almost forgot -- Thank you Betsy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jag was a beautiful soul and you were both very lucky to have eachother. I'm sure he will always have a very special place in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still so heartbreaking..he was SO incredibly beautiful. You did well to capture that thru your lens. It's inspiring to see you still go on with your love of the OTTB's even after your loss of Jag. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete