Friday, April 3, 2009

Life Moves On

Last night I made it through an inevitable change and a sure sign that life moves on.

Two new horses came to the barn for training with my friend Karen Maas. Karen called me ahead of time to let me know that one of the horses will be using Jag's stall. Karen was being a good friend to give me that heads up.

I had gone out to ride Toby after work and the barn was full of activity. The barn owner was out cleaning stalls with her son, another boarder was riding her horse, Karen arrived with the two new horses and the owners of those horses came out too. Usually, it's very quiet at this barn! I took care of Toby and rode him. Again, he was so good and tried his heart out. Slowly he will get stronger and be able to hold his frame longer and longer. For now he's trying hard to do it when I ask and is doing a great job. I just push him to do it a little longer each time. I actually think he loves being back to work.

While Toby was in the cross-ties, the owners of the new horses walked by. One of them asked me "Is that a warm blood?" "No, he's a former race horse." Then he said, "He's beautiful." That was nice to hear because "beautiful" isn't the first word that comes to my mind when it comes to Toby. "Cute" usually does. Toby is very "cute." But hearing those words immediately made me miss Jag because he was, without a doubt, beautiful. I loved to show him off to new people, or to hear people seeing him for the first time say something like, "Wow what a gorgeous horse." I know, it's a totally selfish thing but he always made me so proud to be his owner. But today, Toby made me proud. He really does look terrific for his age.

But I miss my jaw dropping beautiful boy Jag...

Here's a win photo of Jag when he earned the largest paycheck in his racing career. He was a rock star.

Jaguar Hope Win Photo

4 comments:

  1. Toby has his own kind of beauty that comes from his heart. Glad he's enjoying his new job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My rescue, Ryan, has his own kind of beauty, too. Part of it comes from a trip to the barber shop now and then, and some of it is due to the chiropractor's adjustments (first time she said he was out "everywhere," and I swear the expression on his FACE changed). He wants a job to do, and while he's not sound for much more than trail riding, he seems to enjoy the little bit of riding we HAVE done just around my acre.

    When I decide on a saddle, we'll take the plunge out the gate and ride around the block. I'm sure he will be happy as a clam to have a job again.

    Huey, my OTTB, gets "cute," a lot. He's 16hh and beautiful--chestnut with star, strip, snip, and four white socks--but his size compared to the warmbloods we see at our dressage lessons and shows make him look like a peanut.

    Frankly, I'll take "cute" over "peanut." ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the reactions different horses elicit from people. I've had a "cute" (the Morgan I got as a yearling and took to Prix St. George) and a beautiful (a difficult Swedish WB mare). My current guy is "handsome." He's a breeding stock Paint with one TB grandparent; I get asked if he's a WB because he doesn't look like a stock horse. He tries really hard, too, even though his conformation isn't given to upper levels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I imagine seeing another horse in Jag's stall has to be painful. My heart goes out to you.

    ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete