Monday, April 20, 2009

OTTB's in the Competitive Arena - Rolex

This week begins the highly competitive Rolex Kentucky Three Day Eventing. My cyber/photography/friend Sarah K. Andrew is attending and wrote about it on her blog: Rock and Racehorses: The Blog.

Of course this blogger really LOVED reading about the success of Mike Winter and his OTTB Wonderful Will: Rolex Eventer Found His Horse at the Track. This is my favorite quote in the article:

But the son of Woodman proved too much horse for most everyone but Winter. He remembers training the horse over his first jump, a small cross rail on the ground. The horse jumped as high as the standards on either side.
"Mike had this expression on his face like, 'What just happened?'" said Schwartz, Wonderful Will's owner. "Then he did it again. He just always took to jumping. He was supposed to be my little event horse to go novice, but he jumps me out of the tack."


I think it's fantastic that a 15.1 hand OTTB is competing at this level. Of course, I'm absolutely passionate about the virtues of racehorses after their racing days are over.

Thanks Sarah for the great post and have fun at Rolex!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Wendy! I thought you'd enjoy that link. I'll be rooting for them and I'll try to update when possible.

    ReplyDelete