Thursday, May 21, 2009

Post Preakness Odds and Ends

I'm still recovering from The Preakness. What a great race and what a great time I had.

I got to know Dominic Terry a little bit better this past week.




He's an exercise rider for Steve Asmussen and was rooming with my good friend Alex Brown this past fall and winter. I met Dominic when I made a road trip to Woodbine last October. Dominic is the lucky guy who has the privilege to exercise and work Rachel Alexandra! So of course I shot photos of him throughout the week. I'm hoping they will make it to Belmont. I was told that she was feeling VERY good out on the track for her gallop yesterday. She is scheduled to work on Monday afterwhich they will make a decision if she will head to Belmont. We will see!

Slightly off-topic: Yesterday was like Christmas for me! I received a used saddle I purchased on ebay. I purchased an Albion "Style" saddle which is now called their SLK model. It's lovely!





Best of all, it fits Toby beautifully! I think he'll be very happy with this saddle. The leather feels like butter. I know I am happy with it!

Canoodler update: He raced on Sunday at Arlington on their synthetic track. He kept up with the leaders until the last 1/8 mile where he tired. He finished last. I sent an email to his trainer (my friend) and she said the owners want to try him on the turf and she'll let me know when they are ready to let him go. I'm actually quite hopeful from her email. I know he's in good hands as long as he's with her, which thankfully he still is!


And finally, as if I'm not crazy enough, I'm heading to Woodbine to visit my friends there such as Alex, Jen Morrison and Keith McCalmont! It'll be a very fun Memorial Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment